Sunday, December 19, 2010

Diary of a Rookie: Monster Hunter Tri, Part 3

Part 1, Part 2

Pretty soon after I defeated the Rathian mentioned in my last part, I was about to head out to hunt the Lagiacrus that had been terrorizing the village. Before doing so, I thought I would do a few quests online to gather some materials and see what kind of new weapons I could make. I was quite interested to see how the other new weapon type I had unlocked earlier would work, which was the Switch Axe. I had all the materials needed as soon as I was done playing online quests, so I went to the village and forged the weapon.

Holy sh*t, by just looking at the weapon as soon as I forged it, I could tell it was going to be helpful. So, like with the Long Sword, I went out of the village to test it. Once again, a Great Jaggi appeared for me to hunt and it was down within two minutes. Actually, that's a lie, it took me a while to get used to the way the Switch Axe controls, and THEN, when I got used to everything, I took the Great Jaggi down within two minutes. It's called the Switch Axe because it can 'switch' to a sword mode, which will do a ton of damage. It can also do an awesome energy blast while in sword mode. The only drawback is that it can only be in sword mode for so long and then have to 'reload' in axe mode. After seeing the damage I could do with this new weapon, it was time to face the Lagiacrus.

Think the length of a blue whale, but much more dangerous... and electric.
Deja vu... didn't I say the same thing about the long sword and the Rathian? Oh well, this is a casual game site, so screw professionalism! Anyway, after harvesting herbs, blue mushrooms and honey to make some Mega Potions, I was ready to go on my quest. Once I arrived at the coast, a cut-scene was triggered and showed the Lagiacrus sleeping underwater... his eyes then opened and he started charging around the relatively shallow area and bashed an obstacle, getting rid of it for our battle.

Unlike my battle with the Rathian, I actually managed to defeat the Lagiacrus on my first try... but boy was it hard. There were so many times that I thought I would faint to fail the quest and came inches to the Lagiacrus' advances when dodging. My little A.I. partner Cha-Cha was a little bit of help too, since I set his attacks to the Lagiacrus' weakness, which is fire... for... some odd reason.

Victorious in my quest, I came back to the village and was greated with praise for destroying the Lagiacrus... but... Cha-Cha was missing... and the earthquakes that supposedly Lagiacrus was causing, was still happening. What's going on here?

1 comment:

  1. Hehe, yeah... you're about to get to the fun parts now. Congrats on felling the Lagi!

    ReplyDelete