Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Kirby's Epic Yarn

If I had to describe Kirby's Epic Yarn in one word, it would be 'adorable.' This game is so cute I can't stand it. Actually, sometimes the cuteness can get a little tiring... maybe even sickening... but hey, it's Kirby. The reviews have mostly been absolute praise and I agree... mostly. Kirby's Epic Yarn is definitely a top notch game with a lot of gaming goodness that satisfied.

I was a bit taken aback when I heard that this game originally started out as a new intelligent property, because I really want to see some new IPs from Nintendo, but Kirby works well with this game since he's known for transformations. Kirby can't actually suck up enemies in the game, which is explained in the very first cut-scene, but he can still transform into a multitude of things.

There are two classes of abilities though, one class you can use any time and the other class you activate when you come across a circular patch. I won't spoil all of the things you get to turn into, but one of them I just have to mention, and is advertised right on the back of the box and in some other ads... A DOLPHIN! Kirby gets to change into a dolphin! Do you know how happy that makes me?! You don't? Oh, well... uh... moving on.

I actually played through the whole game with my good friend Tyler... that's right, it can be 2-player co-op throughout the whole game. The second player plays as the other main character, Prince Fluff. I feel like the game would have been more challenging if playing single-player though, because in some instances I was wondering how I would ever get to an area without the help of a buddy. 

The Verdict:

For the length and amount of content, it's pretty standard for a Kirby game, though I knew the ending was coming, I didn't want to quit playing. Gameplay-wise, this game nails it. The story is a bit childish, but again, what do you expect from Kirby? There is a father-like figure that voices over the cut-scenes, and at times I felt almost embarrassed watching them. Finally... the graphics... holy crap is this game beautiful and genius. I didn't know there were so many things you could do with fabric, yarn and buttons. I can see how this would have been a great IP if it weren't for Nintendo fearing that it wouldn't sell (I'm supposing that's the reason they made it a Kirby game). Oh, and did I mention that this game has some of the best piano-centric music ever composed for a video game? Well, it does.

What I Liked:
  • Amazing visual style
  • Two-player co-op throughout the whole game
  • KIRBY CAN BE A DOLPHIN!!!!
What I Didn't Like:
  • Story-time Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment