Saturday, October 2, 2010

It's like a time machine, but with games!

During most of the 90s, my parents were Mac users. For all we were concerned about, Windows 95 didn't exist and OS 9 was the wave of the future. Of course, I missed out on the best part- the games. Fallout, Dune II, Baldur's Gate, Mechwarrior, DOOM, and many other awesome games had been released while I became a Vidmaster in Marathon. This trend continued into the early 2000s. We had a Windows 98 computer then, but my 12-year-old self barely even knew any of the fantastic PC games being released. While people's minds were getting blown with Quake, my brother and I were madly building bases and sending waves of troops at each other in Command and Conquer.
I blame this game for giving me an obsession with heavy metal and industrial.

Fortunately, several services exist (such as Good Old Games and Steam) offer older games in their lineup, so at the very least it saves a lot of time and money in actually acquiring a game that might be rare or out of print. Slowly, but surely, I'm filling in that 10+ year gap when games actually had effort put into them, and were not constantly pumping out sequel after sequel of bland gameplay elements with nothing else going for them but graphics (I'm not saying that newer games are bad, just the ones I don't like.). When the new stuff doesn't cut it, turn to something old you never got a chance to play. I'm half an hour into Arcanum and already it's better than Final Fantasy as a whole.

I'm a half-ogre mad doctor wielding a rapier and a flintlock pistol. All kinds of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment