Friday, September 24, 2010

25th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros.


The anniversary date was actually more than a week ago, but I thought I would talk a bit about it. This month, 25 years ago, Super Mario Bros. was released in Japan. It's the game that started a line of exceptional quality platformers, and you can see a glimpse of them in the video on the official anniversary site. (Though I wonder why they left out Super Mario Land 1 & 2?) They're also going to release a Super Mario Collection Pack next month in Japan, which will contain the first 3 games and the lost levels (I'm guessing it's just Super Mario All-stars), along with a history booklet and a soundtrack that has music spanning the entire franchise. Sounds like a nice package to me! I have a feeling it probably won't be heading outside of Japan though...

Like a lot of people my age and older (and even younger), I began gaming with Mario's mustached face. But uh... I have a confession to make. I've never beaten the original Super Mario Bros. (Apparently, a lot of people haven't...) So Mario fans, I invite you to join me in finally beating the game which set the bar for platformers!

No comments:

Post a Comment